Sunday, March 24, 2013

First "fundraiser" was a success!

I spent 4 hours today freezing my butt off standing outside the Stop & Shop store in Braintree to spread the word about the CCFA and Team Challenge . I was not dressed warmly enough, but I wanted to wear my Team Challenge t-shirt and it was really just my toes that were cold anyway.

Either way, I got to witness first hand today the generosity of the community I live in. Working for a nonprofit organization, I see good deeds being done for good causes every day - but this just blew me away! Altogether, I raised over $200 between change, singles, and even much larger bills. Many people who stopped at my table shared with me about a loved one in their life living with Crohn's or colitis, made a donation, and thanked me and the Team for our hard work running for a cure. A lot of people also stopped to make a donation not knowing about the cause, but asking questions and then wishing me luck.

One woman who stopped at my table revealed to me that she was 86 and had undergone surgery many years ago to remove 14" of her colon. She said they didn't have things like running half marathons for good causes when she was young, but if they did she would have gotten involved too. It gave me hope to see her at a "ripe age" looking healthy and living happily. Maybe by helping to fund research for a cure, and support services for families affected by Crohn's and colitis, we will be able to see many more living to such an old and contented age.

I also met someone today who is friends with one of our coaches, Rocco. He knew all about Team Challenge and wished me luck. He told me he is training for the Boston Marathon right now with Team in Training, but still stopped to encourage me and make a donation.

I even met the husband of another Team Challenge runner today!

When I was done with my "reserved" time slot, I packed up my table (see picture below!) and headed towards my car. As I was putting my blue and orange decorations into the back seat, I noticed the guy behind me stop and reach for his wallet. I smiled and said, "hello" (which I had been doing a lot all day) and then remembered that I was also still wearing my Team Challenge t-shirt. He handed me some ones and said, "I said I would catch you on my way out. I'm glad I saw you before you left. Good luck with your training!" I said "thank you" in a very shocked - and what I hope was grateful - tone and put the donations into my collection jar. I think that was actually the biggest highlight of my day. If I am able to inspire others to action - even an action as simple as tracking me down for a couple of dollars - then I have done my job as a Team Challenge runner, and as an advocate for the CCFA.

While I ended the afternoon with frozen toes, a runny nose, and very sore legs/back (because I also forgot to bring a chair with me so I had to stand for four hours straight) I would say all in all it was a very successful day. I walked away from my first "fundraiser" the happiest I've been all week! I seriously had a smile on my face today that would not go away! Thank you to everyone in the Braintree community that stopped at my table to support this important cause. And thanks especially to Nick's friends and family members that stopped by and I'm sure spread the word inside. With your support and generosity I am sure we will find the cure!

Happy spring!
ashley
<3

Tabling outside of Stop & Shop in Braintree. Thanks to my community for their generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment