Tuesday, March 12, 2013

AmeriCorps Week Special: I'm Running to Serve

It's AmeriCorps week! #ACWeek is a time for AmeriCorps volunteers and alums to reflect on our service and share why #AmeriCorpsWorks for us. So, in honor of this national week of service and reflection, I would like to share the story of how my AmeriCorps service inspired me to run this summer for Team Challenge, and continues to help me along my journey:

After graduating college in 2009, I embarked on a year of national service as an AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer. I did a year of service as Volunteer Outreach Coordinator at a Boston-based organization called Cradles to Crayons, where I helped to provide everyday essential items to children in Massachusetts living in low-income or homeless situations.

If there is one thing that my year of service taught me, it's that in order to be a leader, you must serve others. Lao Tzo, known as the father of Taoism, once said, "To lead the people, walk behind them." I spent my year of service dedicating almost every waking minute working to ensure I did my best and the absolute most I could do to enable the organization to serve more children. In the end, I found that I was a role model and leader for others in the organization, and those volunteers that serve with us, to do the same. That is exactly what I hope to do as a runner on the Team Challenge New England team. I am already working hard on training and fundraising, spending every free minute I have to ensure I reach my goals and do everything in my power to support the CCFA in its search for a cure. I hope that my efforts in turn inspire those around me to give what they can to support this cause that is so close to my heart - whether it is words of support, a share of my fundraising link, or sponsorship of my run.

Passion is another value that I have taken away from my time in AmeriCorps. One can just care about a cause, and they will contribute to its success. But when a person has passion for a cause is when they can truly make a difference. I have been touched personally by this cause - someone that I love very much has been battling ulcerative colitis for almost five years - and he gave me the spark that ignited my passion for the CCFA. Over 1.5 million American adults and children suffer from Crohn's or colitis. These chronic, painful, and often debilitating digestive disorders most often affect adolescents and young adults ages 15-35. They are caused by both genetics and environmental triggers, and can cost over $8,000 per year in direct medical expenses for one individual. But together we can make a difference! The CCFA has played a role in almost every major research breakthrough since its founding in 1967. Together, we can support the CCFA in better understanding the causes of IBD, finding a cure, and supporting the individuals and families affected by these disorders. Please support me as I train to run 13.1 miles for a cure!

One last thing that I have been able to take away from my year of service, is that everyone can use their own strengths and interests to make a difference. I love to run. I'm pretty decent at it too! When I heard about the Team Challenge program to train to run a half marathon while raising money for CCFA I couldn't say no. I can continue to do something I love, while working hard to spread the word (talking is something I love and am good at too!) to raise money for a worthwhile cause. I have only identified as being a runner for a couple years. I started in order to get fit, and it has turned into a rewarding habit and hobby. This will be my first half marathon ever, and as I train each week I will set records for the longest distance I've ever run. I am sure that I will run more half and full marathons, but I am proud to be running my first alongside my Team Challenge teammates for the CCFA.

In short, my service in AmeriCorps has inspired me, and instilled in me the character I need, to continue to make a difference. Running and fundraising for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America is one way I am choosing to continue my service through proven and effective methods. I hope you will join my journey to support the CCFA in finding a cure for Crohn's and colitis. You can support my run by visiting my fundraising page at: http://www.active.com/donate/napaNE13/ashleyt or by taking the time to spread the word to your networks, family, and friends - you never know who is affected and would love an opportunity to support the cause!

Thank you, AmeriCorps, for the opportunity to serve. And thank you for continuing to "work for me" as an alumni!

Yours in Service,
ashley




All facts regarding the CCFA, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis, were taken directly from published literature provided by the CCFA.

No comments:

Post a Comment