Saturday, May 18, 2013

Invincible Superwoman!

I was having a conversation a few weeks ago with a customer service rep at Best Buy about running. I don't know how the conversation started, but we found out we both love running and started chatting about it. I told him that I was currently training to run my first half marathon with Team Challenge and that the training was definitely challenging and we have really only just started out. He mentioned to me that once you pass the 5 mile mark though, anything feels possible.

Since I was only up to 3 miles or so in my current training I had to recall the training I did last fall for the Tufts 10K for Women.  I do remember getting to the 5 mile point and feeling invincible. Wind at my back, I felt like I could run forever when I was out for my daily runs. Of course, I would always wear myself to a good level of exhaustion, but throughout the day I had this feeling of strength and fitness over my whole body. And on race day I beat my goal of finishing in under an hour - although I did feel exhausted to point of collapse afterwards.

But that good feeling - that invincibility - is what I felt a couple weeks ago after our first group long run past 5 miles - 5.4 miles to be exact. I ran alongside my mentor for most of the route until she gave me the go ahead to keep running ahead while she slowed down. I kept up a great pace and finished in about a 10:00/mile pace. I felt amazing afterwards - better than I ever feel after my weekly morning runs. And even better, I felt I could keep running forever! (well, at least another couple miles...)

But lately, I have not felt like Superwoman during my training. Things have been getting really tough. On top of everything going on at work and in my personal life, and my plateau in my fundraising, I've definitely felt a strain on my body from my training: shin pain, lower back pain, general muscle soreness, and a bruise on my pride from worse-than-desired times on my so-called "hard workouts". The last couple weeks or so have just made me feel - physically and mentally - that I just can't do this.

Enter training week 6.

I woke up this morning feeling well-rested and excited about training, but very nervous - would I hurt myself or otherwise be unable to finish? But I got dressed, put on my sunblock, and drove the 29 miles to today's route: Battle Road in Lexington. My team was already warming up when I pulled in to what looked like the middle of nowhere, and minutes later we were off on the dirt/gravel route through Lexington, Concord, and Lincoln.

And WHOA, was it awesome!

I ran the first 2.5 miles or so with Coach Dave, who gave me some great advice and training tips on the way. Before I knew it, I was at the halfway point where Alicia was set up with cups of water and electrolyte drinks. I was cruisin' through the beautiful park scenery, with no ipod or other technology to distract me from the beautiful weather and the fact that I had virtually no leg pain running on the off-road trail. I felt, in a word, invincible.

We will ignore the fact that I was so in the zone that I ran right past our starting point, went a mile off-course, and started having a panic attack when I realized that I was totally and utterly lost, without any form of map or way to call anyone on my team. Fortunately, everyone on that trail is super polite and the first person I came across let me use his phone to figure out where I was and how to get back (despite the fact that my hands were sweaty and trembling). I turned around, and about a half-mile later came across one of our teammates, Ben, wearing his memorable bright orange jacket. We made it back to the parking lot in no time with no problem at all, while Ben shared with me his own fundraising tips and tricks :)

But at mile 7, mere moments before I realized I was in totally the wrong spot, I felt like I could have kept going for miles. I had just conquered a rutted, never-ending hill (that I didn't remember from the beginning of our journey) and still felt great - high energy, pain-free shins, and just the right amount of Vitamin D from the partly-shady, partly-sunny trail. I was so proud to share with my team what I had accomplished, and received compliments on my time when I returned.

Above all, this week's run helped me believe in myself again. Armed with quite a few suggestions of local trail runs to try out during the week, and personal realizations of how I need to adapt my training to prevent injury, I know that I will be able to finish my training. Armed with countless ideas and a renewed vigor for fundraising, I know that I will be able to reach my goal of raising $4500 for a cure. And armed with the confidence that both of these weapons give me, I know I will be able to run Napa on July 21st for Team Challenge with Nick at my side cheering me on.

I am once again the invincible superwoman that I always knew I could be.

Thank you, Team Challenge!


Running strong,
ashley

Team Challenge with our honored hero, Timmy (back row, center), at Battle Road
for today's long run and re-commitment picnic!

1 comment: